Skip to main content

The Teacher in Reflection

“Philosophers have interpreted the world, but the point of it is to change it.”
-Karl Marx

It is way too boastful to call myself a philosopher in the enterprise since I am in no sense recognized by the world. But let us reciprocate the triangular schema of power to a point wherein I can claim to be a philosopher without even any world recognition. Call anyone who loves knowledge or wisdom and in the perpetual pursuit of it a philosopher and since everybody is capable of such an endeavour then everybody can be a philosopher but another borderline is yet to overcome between authenticity and inauthenticity. As a third party I am not to condemn others of inauthenticity but I can be critical to some point that I can make the other reflect upon to re-evaluate himself.  Branding names is not my concern but I merely am a voice of conscience reminding them of what a superman one could become.

I have been reflective over the days whether if I served humanity right in enlightening the minds of the youth into a critical path because I have been dubious whether if I had brought the message straight to them. All the while I am proving myself everyday of the things that I have learned and haven’t learned so far. Even though I am the teacher, but it is like I begin to learn a lot more and more and it is I who is assured that I have learned something or I am ignorant. But my duty is not only to myself but also to the students who paid (forced or willingly) me to speak.

I then looked upon old anecdotes or stories that speak about wisdom and all of them include man’s capability to weigh things before decision or simply the ability to rationalize. But I do agree that not all can be measured upon by thought, but at least in the emotive side there is a just cause for any of its manifestations to occur. Let us say the story of Solomon and the dispute over two women over a rightful claim over the child. Solomon used wits and therefore he is wise. Jesus rebelled against Jewish hypocrisies. He is critical on culture, politics and to the individual in relation to God. He opened the eyes of the common people with those charades that masked truth with trivialities and for that he is wise. Confucius speaks of the gentleman or the sage who wherein has come to a certain age attains wisdom from all the errors he has undergone in his life. Socrates speaks of the wisest man being aware of his own ignorance and for that continually opening one’s way to possibilities outside the reach of his mind, and for that he is wise. Many people like them are wise for they have thoughts that are left unravelled in one’s own head and they made one see what was not seen. For this they are also the so called “teachers”.

Here I am now, a teacher in profession but have been successful in opening the eyes of almost anyone who has been under my gaze? I tend to break free from the chains of an industrial kind of education that encapsulates the mind of the youth into a box. I know it is necessary for one to imitate in order to learn, but in due time let us give them the ability to use their head not in simple agreement of instructions but one who could redefine instructions, destroy instructions or reconstruct them or ultimately to create one in all power generated by reasoning or to follow instructions not in blind faith but also not forsaking reasoning in the deliberation process. But have I brought this message to my students or have they followed me in fear of failure or in mere compliance of desired curriculum? That I am bothered because it tethers my soul in the satisfaction of the service I give to humanity in general.

I can understand the pressure laid down for me as sometimes unsystematic, but I would like to say that I destroy in order to create, or I simply re-evaluate. I negate to discover a hypothesis that I need to rest upon in order to negate again and until I am convinced of myself and not only that, but others with me in the struggle of perfection. Say it is ideal and lofty, but to surrender one’s quest is to simply not live at all. Let it be a final statement of the incapacity to reach the ideal only when I have done all I could to reach a yard’s length.

Logic, Philosophy of Man, History, Rizal, Humanities, Psychology and maybe more subjects to come. Have I been wasting such magnificent names to unproductive ears or am I not an effective inspirer of thought to make them hear? I have been radical in my ways in movement, image and even in words only to prove that there are alternatives at hand that can change our futures for the better. But slowly I can only say, that I am momentarily convinced that I am learning, but have I transmuted the learning? I am a teacher by name and by profession but can I be like Jesus, Confucius, Socrates or Solomon or any other people out there with their extreme piety of thought giving justice to our human nature? Yes, the system wants machines to run the nation soon, but it is all too lifeless when the future only glares at one possibility and deprived of the ideals in life to make one in creativity and spontaneity like an artist does.

My students threw already stones at me for being radical but it is thus the fate of every man who is thus willing to make one see the world in a different kind if light. I already accepted my fate as the miserable yet the noble, but have I been the teacher really? Or the philosopher maybe? Have I not just said only to be heard and not to be listened? Have I just interpreted the world absent contribution to change? Or have I initialized the change already? Or have I changed it already?


I want to rest with a meaning and not to pass away empty or but an emptiness after all meanings fall short.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Article Review on Elinita Garcia's "Gabriel Marcel: Primary and Secondary Reflection"

Summary:             Gabriel Marcel is a known French existentialist. His co-Frenchman, Jean-Paul Sartre, distinguished existentialism into two which were coined as  atheistic  and  theistic  (Christian) wherein Sartre did mention Marcel as part of the latter in lecture on Existentialism a Humanism . Marcel is a Christian existentialist because he included the divine even amidst the infamous perception of existentialism as godless. Moreover, he is also known for his non-systematic philosophy where he pointed out that the philosophical discipline starts from where one is (referring to the particularity of the situation); therefore, it is not from metaphysical assumptions or already laid down theories.             Marcel’s thoughts talk about the importance and the necessity of reflection wherein he divides it into two as a) primary reflection and b) secondary reflection. Reflection for Marcel is “nothing other than attention, i.e. directed towards this sort of small break

Fin?

  Last 2012, there were hearts on fire that both had their first shared flame in an unlikely place. I was thirsty for love coming from being dormant while she was searching for a redemption from a series of broken hearts. Both struggled to find their place. Both trying to live their lives free from the hideous chains of a dark home. I must admit that I fell for her beauty and add to that, her care. As we both clasped our hands, it was a committed long shot to have the perfect rest for our hearts. It was a bit strange to have an affair under the noses of all that is forbidden both profession and a line of faith. Nothing was wrong as long both were in the ecstasy of love – no malice, no foul play, no trespassing of wills. That moment was a perfect episode in a romantic film – one where young love sprang amidst treacherous circumstances. We lived through the happiness of newfound belongingness and the battle of keeping that alive. 4 years before the wedlock were filled with ups and do

Bertrand Russell and the Sense of Sin

Introduction             Ethics is this study of what is good and what is bad and throughout the course of history it had also its shares of disputes and animosities. But beneath all of it is that ethics is a means in order to arrive at happiness or the good life. Because we have to act correspondingly or in a certain manner wherein we can get to attain harmony within ourselves especially regarding to our conscience or in harmony with others in order to keep relationships or ultimately to preserve one’s self or to attain such security whether externally and that is in relation with others or internally or personal satisfaction. Our actions are guided by principles of which we take actions correspondingly but the question lies what then are these principles and sometimes we go back to our way of understanding or our metaphysical assumptions wherein we garner from these in order to make way into how we conduct ourselves in our actions. In this paper then, I will explicate Bertrand